Saturday, September 18, 2004

Left or Right?

Hello everyone, I'm a new member who had just joined this blogring.... Would love to share some interesting army stories with you guys....

I'm sure you have seen people having difficulties telling themselves which is left and which is right. There are people who can only tell directions from the clock system (eg. 9 o'clock = left), some people need a few seconds and their fingers to think before they know which is left and which is right, but this platoon mate of mine takes the cake....

The time is 2001 September. We were the "new bird" signallers who had just been posted to 42 SAR, and we were having our first outfield with our unit. At the BnHQ we were supposed to set up an Ops tentage for our commanders. 1SG Sunny, then the Ops sergeant, was in charge of setting up the Ops tentage and so he was barking around in order to make us work faster. Being "new birds", all we could do was to follow orders and work faster.

Generators are very important in outfield exercises because it provides electricity to lamps and other electrical appliances for the commanders in the Ops tent. However, being so heavy and bulky, a typical generator needs to be carried by 4 person. So our then PTE ZW Lin was one of the carrier of the generator. While carrying the generator, something happened that caused everyone to get tripped. No one was injured except poor PTE ZW Lin....

The generator had landed on his left foot.... But he was hugging his right foot in pain!!

4 comments:

Hai~Ren said...

Hahahahaha... wah lau... you posted the very story I was thinking of posting hahahaha... classic 42 Signallers' story =D

Hai~Ren

Fruchee said...

Haha.... Game to write about Ganesan's "Report in Full Uniform" story?

chrischoo said...

I paid a pretty long visit to this blog since I last read it several months ago. I didn't realize there was a 42 SAR story here!

It's cool to recall the old days. I can't say I enjoyed it then (I was in 4SAB right across the road), but I didn't expect to hear stories about the battalions around me.

From what I recall I participated in the 42 SAR ATEC as one of the personnel t-loaned for motorcycle signal rebro since 42 didn't have such a detachment (who needs one when you have APCs and tanks ya!?).

Ganesan, if I recall correctly, was serving in my platoon during my signal course. Man he had some really crazy shit happen to him... Most of which I can hardly recall now though! Blame it on bad memory.

Joseph said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I think.
astronomie